Descriptive Books (Age Books) are crafted using a book and a feather (no shape). The resultant item can be used like a bow. Once the book is ‘fully drawn’ it can be released. The user will then drop the book on the ground (as an entity which can be picked up) and travel to the new Age. Note that this is a one way trip. Without a Linking Book it will be impossible to return.
Descriptive Books are assigned a unique identifier when crafted that correlates to the dimension id they link to.
Linking Books are crafted simply with a book. A Linking Book remembers the current location, direction, and Age (dimension) of the creator allowing travel to that place. This book can be used the same way as an Descriptive Book and will follow the same mechanics (drops to the ground as player travels). Also a one way trip by itself.
It is possible to make linking books to The Nether and The End.
Book Entities: The books that fall to the ground can be picked up by right clicking them. They will be placed in the player’s inventory and can be used as normal. If a book is left on the ground it will slowly decay (the book flashes as it takes damage). It is also possible to burn or otherwise damage books in this state.
Linkbook Stands: allow you to place a book on them and use the book from the stand without having to pick the book back up. Right-clicking an empty stand with a book in your hand places the book. Right-clicking a stand that already has a book causes you to travel instantly. Breaking the stand causes it to drop the book.
Writing Desks: allow you to view the symbols in a Descriptive Book and rename books. If a Descriptive Book is renamed then the Age is renamed and all subsequent Linking Books made in that age will default to the new name (any previously made ones keep their identifiers). Desks now allow for actual writing mechanics (selecting symbols for Ages; See below). In the future they will also allow changing the symbols that describe an age.
Crafting Recipe: I F,PPP,P P; I=ink,F=feather,P=planks
Notebook: The only book entity added so far that doesn’t do something magical. Used to track the symbols you have learned. They have a special slot on the writing desk and will automatically store the symbols from any descriptive book placed in the desk at the same time. It is impossible to actually ‘write’ an age without one, though the only way to add symbols is to learn them by randomly generating ages (using underspecified books).
Crafting Recipe: A full grid of paper.
Ages: are other worlds. The mechanics of the Age are determined by the Symbols written into its Descriptive Book (symbols may be added on linking if there are not enough or logic is missing). Some possible world types are Sky Islands and Flat Worlds. The randomly generated Ages are single biome worlds and may include unusual or special features.
Star Fissures: are natural links to the Overworld. Star Fissures generate near the Age spawn.
Decay Blocks: spawn in unstable Ages and slowly eat the age. They spread horizontally and eat downward, causing blocks above them to cascade downward.
Writing: The Age will automatically select symbols to fill in logic it is missing. Doing so adds a small amount of instability to the Age.
The Age will also sometimes add some extra stuff. This won’t cause instability (unless the symbol inherently adds instability, like the Heavy Resources symbol).
If symbols control the same critical logic (two terrain generator symbols, for example) then the second will be used and a large amount of instability will be added.
If too many biomes are specified (for the biome controller) then a large amount of instability is added (per extra) and the extras are ignored.
Portals: The new crystal blocks can be arranged into portals. A book receptacle can be made from 8 crystal blocks in a crafting grid (outer edges) and placed against the crystal portal frame. Putting a book into the receptacle causes a portal to form that links as if the book. All entities that can collide with blocks will link in this way.
Link Modifiers: are a temporary debugging block. It is crafted with a block of gold surrounded by 8 blocks of diamond, or spawned from NEI/TMI, or with a /give command. It permits setting special flags on linking and descriptive books, including “disarm”, “following” (does not drop on use), etc. All of these will be replaced with other recipes in a future release.
Screenshots and Recipes:
- Go to Mystcraft Dropbox Page
Installation Mystcraft Mod
Install with MultiMC
This method is not recommended, especially on OSX as the Finder merges files differently. If you are on OSX and do not know how to use the Terminal to extract, copy, and compress files, use MultiMC or you will encounter issues. These instructions will vary based on your operating system. They assume that Minecraft has already been downloaded and run at least once.
v0.11.1.00[Balance]Block instability baseline values are automatically determined
[Balance]Default dangling modifier instability value increased
[Balance]Makes flux goo seabanned by default
[Balance]Replaces flat weights system with rank-based system in grammar and treasure generation
[Balance]Symbols without a rarity ranking cannot be obtained
[Balance]Revises booster contents slightly [Mechanics]Dimensions are no longer registered until the first link attempt is made
[Mechanics]A newly made descriptive book (not yet visited) will not make a usable portal [Generation]Handles new biome direct generation (ex: Mesa Biomes; specific Biome population elements)
[Generation]Updates stone noise to match vanilla generation [Items]Splits notebook item into portfolio and folder
[Items]Existing notebooks map to new folder item
[Items]Pages now stack to 64
[Items]Portfolios are collection items, allowing easy tracking of a symbol collection (akin to a CCG)
[Items]Folders function much like notebooks before, useful for organizing and ordering a set of pages
[Items]Adds sealed folder, which takes the place of generated notebooks (new booster packs; right click to open)
[Items]Book names are limited to 21 characters [Crafting]Adds recipe for portfolio
[Crafting]Changes recipe for folder
[Crafting]Makes folders a valid book cover material [Trading]Implements basic core of villager shop system
[Trading]Mystcraft Villagers no longer use the vanilla trading system
[Trading]Right-clicking on a mystcraft villager brings up their shop (WIP) [Interface]Right-clicking a text box clears it
[Interface]The page surface is auto-sorted (A-Z) client-side (respects localization)
[Interface]Duplicate pages in a portfolio in the surface are stacked
[Interface]A show all button has been added to the page surface to show all in-game symbols
[Interface]Improves horizontally scrolling page gui element
[Interface]Improves surface element
[Interface]Folder/Protfolio right-click bring up gui with surface view [Audio]Replaces pop sound (Minecraft no longer works with WAVs) [Visuals]Adjusts link panel disabled grey-out effect
[Visuals]Improves symbol rendering [Localization]Updates to localization files (See GitHub)
[Localization]Alters localization key of symbols [Config]Prevents auto-config gen of mod-blacklisted fluids [API]Refactors MystObjects
[API]Moves Color and ColorGradient back to API
[API]Adds drawColor back to IRenderAPI
[API]Adds function to get BlockCategory by name
[API]API for symbols and instability effects reinstated. Some elements remain in need of cleanup.
[API]Makes the ChunkProfiler handle blocks by unlocalized name key (allows for blocks w/ metadata)
[IMC]Adds IMC message handler for building block modifiers
[IMC]Adds IMC message handler for specifying block instability factors
[IMC]Fluid config message flag “rarity” replaced with “cardrank” (int)
[IMC]Fluid config message flag “grammar” replaced with “grammarrank” (int)
[ModCompat]Adds a tickcounter for clientside use on the world info override object
[ModCompat]Correctly uses/handles Quartz generation event [BugFix]Fixes issue with error handling in IMCHandler not giving full log
[BugFix]Fixes crashbug with empty desk tabs
[BugFix]Fixes the can snow here check
[BugFix]Fixes the Mexican jumping books and block ejection
[BugFix]Fixes a bug with interacting with empty surface tabs
[BugFix]Fixes an issue with viewing linkbooks to removed dims
[BugFix]Forces folder used as covers to be empty
[BugFix]Fixes pickup/drop with folder on binder (1 item in folder looked empty)
[BugFix]Fixes read order of block modifiers on terrain symbols to match grammar generation
[BugFix]Command created books get pages as previously written
[BugFix]Fixes localization for missing world in TPX command
[BugFix]Fixes dim registration for ages (trying to register existing dimensions now fails correctly)
[Tweak]Minor changes to library generation [Performance]Optimizes ChunkProfiler [Other]There is a fake dimension created for baseline profiling which is not saved and generates a little every tick until profiling is completed
[Other]Chunks from baseline dimension only keeps ~32 most recent chunks
[Other]Descriptive books now store own data (not in AgeData)
[Other]AgeData file does not exist until first link through the descriptive book
[Other]XCompWiz no longer spawns with glasses [Debug]Implements new debug system for accessing internal live data
[Debug]Revises debug command autocomplete and value addressing
[Debug]Adds global profiling data (stability calcs) to debug tree
[Debug]Adds more information on bonus stability system
[Debug]Adds debug instability value controllable from debug tree (ex: set agedata_#.instability.debug 100)
KNOWN_ISSUE: You get a lot of (nearly) useless folder items…
KNOWN_ISSUE: Villager trades still incomplete
- [Forge]Requires forge version 1083
- [Internal]Renames some entities (Existing mystcraft falling block entities, dropped books, and meteors will be lost)
- [Known:BugFix]Writing into a blank descriptive book doesn’t cause the symbols to appear visually (though the writing does occur)
- [API]Reinstates interfaces for dimensions, the grammar, words, and rendering
- [Audio]Added sound effects to meteors
- [Balance]Increases the frequency of meteors
- [Balance]Meteors are smaller and marginally more frequent
- [Balance]Reduces the frequency at which meteors place ores
- [Balance]Revises grammar rules for random populators, etc. slightly
- [Balance]Tweaks check for which blocks can support player spawn points in ages
- [BugFix]Fixes decays not correctly detecting air blocks
- [BugFix]Fixes dims created with myst-create not having link panel pages
- [BugFix]Fixes entities not arriving at other side of link portals
- [BugFix]Fixes grammar incorrectly parsing written tokens
- [BugFix]Fixes some issues with book data not updating correctly in GUIs
- [BugFix]Fixes weighting of items in boosters (pages were being choosen evenly within rarity groups)
- [BugFix]Horses should now correctly drop inventories when going through disarm portals
- [BugFix]Move age seed retrival to custom world info (fixes generation of some things being identical across all ages)
- [BugFix]Prevents setting of world time via WorldInfoMyst (fixes double tick)
- [BugFix]Prevents symbols which fail to load properly from crashing game (symbol only disabled)
- [BugFix]Zombies going through disarm portals drop items according to correct drop chances
- [Commands]Fixes time command to be able to set the time to dawn/dusk in worlds with arbitrary dawn/dusk times
- [Commands]Adds ‘?’ randomization prefix for command coordinate numbers. Will randomize value by factor around command caller.
- [Commands]Adds coords to spawn meteor command
- [Commands]Fixes command blocks interaction in Myst commands
- [Compat]Allows WorldInfoMyst to be used to set the Age’s spawn point
- [Config]Adds functionality to disable the archivist by setting the id to 0 in the config
- [Interface]Adds a loadup checker system for startup
- [Interface]Adds page searching to desk GUI
- [Interface]Loadup checker checks to see if any symbols failed to load properly, and provides a gui listing any failures
- [Localization]Adds localization for link effects
- [Localization]Adds localizations for pages
- [Symbols]Adds Organic block category
- [Symbols]Adds Packed Ice block modifier (solid, fluid, terrain, sea, structure, crystal)
- [Symbols]Adds spikes (pointy block clusters) symbol. Can take a structure block modifier.
- [Symbols]Amplified Terrain Page. Works like normal terrain, only amplified.
- [Symbols]Changes how block modifier symbols are constructed and managed, making it possible for them to have different weights per category
- [Symbols]Fixes grammar rules for deep lakes, allowing them to get gasses randomly
- [Symbols]Lakes no longer generate grass or mycelium
- [Symbols]Logs are marked as valid Organic blocks
- [Symbols]Makes Dirt less commonly chosen as a terrain modifer, but more commonly selected as a solid or structure modifier
- [Symbols]Makes Ice a valid crystal block
- [Symbols]Makes Obsidian a valid Terrain block
- [Symbols]Rebalances some other block modifiers against each other
- [Visuals]Edits desk texture
- [Visuals]Fixes bounding box on desk backboard
- [Visuals]Fixes cloud render
- [Visuals]Fixes Mystcraft lightning being invisible (is vanilla lightning invisible in 1.7.2?)
- [Visuals]New Models
- [Visuals]Portal color is now based on book name (temporary; in transition)
- [Visuals]Replaces desk and backboard item textures (Thanks Triangulo!)
- [API]Adds function for popping a block from the block modifier queue which matches any of a list of types
- [BugFix]Fixes concurrency issues with biome wrappers
- [BugFix]Forces lighting table to be rebuilt on age data update
- [BugFix]Prevents crystal generation from replacing bedrock
- [BugFix]Prevents memory churn from biome wrapper objects
- [Compat]Removes WikiLinks API inclusion
- [Config]Allows the configuration of the instability value of automatically generated fluid symbols
- [Performance]Improvements and tweaks to various things to improve performance
- [Requirements]Requires Forge 938 or later
- [Symbols]Adds Gas block modifier type
- [Symbols]Handles gases in Fluid Dictionary
- [Visuals]Adds Cloud Renderer Override (Used only if WeatherRenderer available)
- [Visuals]Adds Weather Renderer Override (Used only once Forge PR goes through)
- [Workaround]Forces chunks in unpopulated ages to unload correctly
Download Mystcraft Mod