ATG adds a new world type which entirely replaces the base method of creating the world.
Vanilla generation creates “blobs” of land within the world and assigns random biomes to each, shuffling them around a bit to add rivers and such. The height and shape of terrain within these areas is determined by the biome, not the rest of the world.
ATG completely changes this, instead creating height, temperature and moisture maps for the world and deriving the final biome based upon those. Higher areas are colder, areas away from the sea and where the temperature is high tend to be dryer.
ATG currently supports vanilla and Extra Biomes XL. ATG itself is compatible with others, but they won’t appear in ATG worlds
A cold shoreline, with gravel and sandy gravel beaches.
Mountainside with EBXL trees and river.
Rivers don’t always work as well as they might…
A rolling shrubland area.
Shrubland and EBXL meadows.
A snowy coast with steppe on the left.
A forested valley.
Another view of the same valley.
There are still a few issues with generation at the interface between deserts and hilly zones.
Tundra dotted with steppe.
Large mountain in a cold, dry area.
Swampy coastal inlet.
Flat terrain exists, but at higher altitudes than vanilla.
Swampy coasts cause small cliffs.
Mountain slopes can be very steep, but tend to not be sheer cliffs.
Volcano lava spout – these are found on the highest mountains and reach to bedrock.
Another swamp coast, showing layered plateaus up a hill.
A hilly desert.
Gravel beaches appear when temperature drops, but before snow.
Transitional biomes: Meadow/plains -> shrubland -> woodland -> forest.
EBXL autumn trees appear as groves in forests.
A cold valley.
A lake between two mountain ridges.
A wooded coast at the interface between hot and temperate.
Sandy coastal areas are common where the sea gets shallow.
- Download and install Minecraft Forge installer
- Download zip file
- Put zip file into your /.minecraft/mods folder. Do not unzip it. If you don’t have a mods folder, create it
- Make sure to select “ATG – Alternate” as the world type when making a new world. If you want to run ATG on a server, set the world type in the server.cfg to “ATG”.
- Fixed height offset and multiplier config values – so they actually do something other than mangle the biome layout.
- Added sea level config option to the main config to allow different water levels.
- Added biome blob config option to the main config – changes the size of the sub-group level biome blobs (e.g. forest vs seasonal forest vs thicket). Use in conjunction with the noise scales to change overall biome size!
- Added more information to the config options, so that they are (hopefully) less cryptic. Sorry for the confusion!
- Added API access for the raw height/temperature/moisture values at an X/Z coordinate. This is expensive however, so please use it sparingly.
- Added API event for intercepting and overriding the biome group at a location. Listen for it on the terrain bus.
- Added optional “generate” argument to the API function for adding biome groups. Setting it to false will prevent the added biome group from being generated by normal means, but still register it. Useful in conjunction with the overriding event.
- Reworked the way the generator creates chunks in an attempt to lower memory load. It was meant to make generation faster, but it didn’t make any visible difference.
Download Alternate Terrain Generation Mod